The district will spend thousands of dollars to replace team uniforms and logos tribes said were insensitive
While schools across the country are taking steps to change offensive mascots…
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker signed a law last year making it tougher to force schools to change their mascots. The new law requires at least 10 percent of a school district’s membership to sign a complaint to be reviewed by the state’s Department of Public Instruction before a mascot change can be considered.
The law also places the burden to prove that a team name or mascot promotes discrimination on those who file the complaint.
- The US Government: We're not going to make it federally mandatory for people to get paid a wage they can actually live off of
- The US Government: If people want to make a living, they'll just have to work 16+ hours a day
- The US Government: And if their kids end up disenfranchised because of a lack of parental involvement, well that's not our problem
- The US Government: In fact, what is our problem is creating a system that will funnel these disenfranchised youth into our prison system so they can work for corporations (that promise us money) for damn near free
- The US Government: If they don't want to fall victim to this system, then they can seek higher education
- The US Government: Except such an education will be inaccessible to most disenfranchised people and skewed in favor of the financially stable and white people
- The US Government: And we're not going to make intervention programs like sex education and conflict resolution federally mandatory, because that's the parent's job
- The US Government: The parent who is working 16 hours a day